Thursday, October 19, 2006

Yet, I’d like to Super Size

Last night I watched the movie “Super Size Me” all the way through for the first time. After watching it, I can honestly say that I have never craved McDonald’s food as much as I did while watching that movie. The host of the documentary, Morgan Spurlock, decided to see what would happen if he ate 3 meals at McDonald’s everyday for a month.
I watched as he tried to eat everything on the menu at least once during the month, and would Super Size his value meal whenever asked. I laughed when on the second day he puked his guts trying to eat a double-quarter-pounder meal. Why was this so funny you may ask? It’s because my friends and I had contests in middle school as two who could eat the Super Sized Double Quarter Pounder Meal the fastest, including all of the 32oz of Coke. Morgan was constantly commenting on how huge his drink was that he was getting. I can drink several times that much liquid in a single sitting.
He must have had a very slow metabolism as he gained almost 25 pounds in that particular month. He averaged a little over 5,000 calories per day. That really doesn’t seem like a huge amount to me. Drinking 64oz of Coke in a day? I don’t see the problem.
I’m by no means the poster child for healthy eating; quite the contrary. I shovel more crap into my body than most people I know. I’m also in better shape than most people I know. I keep a balance between healthy and crappy eating. Yes, I eat a few thousand calories more than most people on a daily basis, but I keep my metabolism high and I’m training for a marathon. Could I eat fast food 3 meals a day and not gain weight? I could if I worked out more. I’ve done it before but usually try not to, solely because it’s expensive.
Is McDonald’s food healthy? No where close to it. Can people get fat from eating too much fast food? I’d say so. But I’m not going to blame the fast food companies for people being fat. If people were so worried about their weight they’d either eat something healthier or exercise more. If they’re too apathetic to actively do anything about their weight, they have absolutely NO RIGHT to complain to ANYONE about being fat. Thankfully congress passed a law forbidding people from suing businesses for MAKING them into the fat pigs they are. Parents are responsible for making sure their kids eat enough healthy food. People are responsible for ensuring they eat a balanced diet. As far as I know, there aren’t any fast food companies strapping people down and force feeding their food into people’s stomachs. Now, I’m off to grab something from the drive-thru after school.

4 comments:

Mercy Now said...

I'm gonna start suing clothing companies for making me spend too much money on clothes because it's all their fault:o)

Neemund said...

They don't force you to buy clothes. Oh wait, the government says you are required to wear clothes in public...So I guess they do force you to buy clothes, unless you are capable of making your own. Sounds like a good lawsuit to me. Actually you'd have a good time suing to get rid of arbitrary sizes for women's clothes and make them use measurements like with guys' clothes.

Mercy Now said...

Yeah, it's like discrimination against men when the sizes reveal our actual measurement but not for the women. We men have rights as well. I'll have to start NOM, the Nat'l Org for Men!

Neemund said...

I think it would be the other way around. Women should sue because their "sizes" don't reflect their actual measurements. I don't give a rip if anyone knows my measurements since most people can get a good guess just by looking at me. Since my measurements are my size, I can give that size to any department store in the country, and get clothes that I know will fit without ever having to try any on. And I'd be happy to join NOM.